Unemployment can be extremely stressful because bills and living expenses do not fade away when you lose your source of income. If you lose your job, you are eligible for government support until you find another one.

Under new laws, terminated employees may be obligated to provide an Employment Separation Certificate when applying for unemployment benefits.

What exactly is a Certificate of Employment Separation?

Employment separation certificates are documents that employers provide to their employees after they have left their jobs. Since Centrelink requires the forms, they are also known as “Centrelink separation certificates.” The form is popularly known as an employment separation certificate.

You should be aware that you will have to request the certificate from your employer as an employee.

Furthermore, the information provided in these forms is used by Centrelink to confirm whether you are genuinely unemployed, the date your employment ended, your last weekly pay, and any leave, redundancy, or allowances you received at the end your employment.

They use this information and other data you provide to evaluate your application for income support and ensure you receive the correct payment amount.

What does an Employment Separation Certificate serve?

The Employment Separation Certificate records former employees’ employment details for them to apply for certain Centrelink benefits. They help Centrelink determine how much unemployment benefits an individual should receive while unemployed and between jobs.

Employment certificates are mostly used when an employee is terminated. It can, however, be used if an employee’s hours have been limited or their employment status has shifted from full-time to casual.

What if your employer refuses to issue you an Employment Separation Certificate?

Your assertion for benefits such as JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance may be denied if your employer refuses to provide you with an employment separation certificate. Some employers are difficult to work with and may refuse to complete the form or fill it out incorrectly.

If you cannot obtain the certificate due to circumstances beyond your control, your benefits should be completed on time.

You should notify Centrelink of the reason you are unable to provide the certificate so that they can take the following actions:

  • They can reach your employer directly or indirectly.
  • They can accept your payment and later obtain the necessary information.

As an employee, you should be aware that if you find it difficult to obtain an employment separation certificate from your previous company, you can provide Centrelink with the necessary information through an alternative method.

For example, you could give Centrelink a payslip with the sum you received in your last payment from your employer, including any termination or leave payments, as well as a letter from your employer.

If you cannot obtain an Employment Separation Certificate from your employer, you must contact Centrelink before filing your claim.

You are not required to provide a separation certificate to Centrelink in certain circumstances.

These are some examples:

  • if you were subjected to sexual harassment or violence at work, 
  • if your previous employer went out of business

In these cases, Centrelink will attempt to verify your previous employment information in other ways.

What is the difference between splitting from your job and termination?

It may be challenging to distinguish between the terms “separation” and “termination of employment.”

Separation in the workplace refers to any situation in which an employer or employee decides to terminate employment, whether willingly or involuntarily. Simply put, employees leave their jobs for two reasons: they want to leave or are forced to leave. The latter situation is referred to as a termination of employment.

The following are some examples of relationships that were voluntarily ended:

  • Retirement
  • Accepting an offer of employment from a different company or taking advantage of better opportunities
  • Changes in other areas of one’s life

In contrast, an impulsive separation or termination could take the following forms:

  • Employees can be fired for a wide range of reasons, including a shortage of capacity, poor or unsatisfying performance, or wrongdoing on their part.

Maintain your mental health

It’s an emotional time if you’ve been laid off or resigned. It’s natural to feel sad when leaving people and places that have been a big part of your life. You can talk to your family or friends about how you’re feeling, make a plan, and set some short-term goals for the next few months.

Contact Us

Please call us now at +1-510-761-5895 so we can best help you.

You may also schedule a call using our self-scheduling tool at http://www.vcita.com/v/piedmontave
or complete our the contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.


  • How can we help you?
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive business growth advice and VIP event invitations.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!


Download Influencer Outreach Guide Now

We need to know how to reach out to you to send the Influencer Outreach Guide. Please fill out the form here!

You have Successfully Subscribed!