The holidays are traditionally about gathering around the dining room table with your loved ones, but health experts recommend celebrating it differently this year as the coronavirus pandemic reaches record levels in many parts of the country. In California alone, a record breaking one million cases in one day near the Thanksgiving holiday was a result of family members traveling from other places to spend the holidays at home.
Common holiday celebrations – with everyone greeting each other with hugs and kisses, enjoying food from shared plates, and groups crowded in enclosed spaces – are more likely to spread COVID-19.
It doesn’t mean we can’t have meaningful celebrations this year, it just means we have to adapt to the current situation we are living in. With Festivus, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, and New Year’s approaching, we must prioritize our safety over traditions to keep our loved ones safe, especially if some of our guests are older or have underlying health conditions.
Celebrating virtually or with members of your own household creates the lowest risk for spreading the disease.
To enjoy the holidays virtually, schedule a video call via the many virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom, Google Meets, or Skype, and try these ideas to make it festive:
- Place your laptops on the table so you can talk while enjoying your meal
- Share recipes or take-out plans ahead of time so everyone can eat the same food at different places
- Honor usual traditions, like saying prayers together
- Play virtual games online
- Use a virtual gifting platform like Elfster to draw Secret Santas, send gifts through mail ahead of time and open them on camera
If you need extra assistance in hosting your virtual event, we at Piedmont Avenue Consulting specialize in creating events. Furthermore, holidays are not only limited to celebrating with family members, but if you are a business and your company’s holiday celebrations are interrupted by the pandemic, we will be happy to aid in creating your virtual event.
Another wonderful way to celebrate the holidays this year is to order takeout from your favorite local restaurant. Supporting small and local businesses is crucial during this unprecedented time to keep them open during COVID.
A few family-owned restaurants that we recommend in the San Francisco area that are having holiday family meal deals include:
- Lee’s Deli – Dim Sum
- 303 Second Street @ Folsom, San Francisco, CA 94107
- (415) 284-7303
- Order a family meal for 2, 3, or 4 people
- House-made dim sum platters
- Dim-sum combo meals or side orders
- Mas Fuego – Mexican Food
- 43968 Pacific Commons Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
- Safe Healthy Vacuum Sealed Dinners for 4
- Massimo’s – Italian Food
- 5200 Mowry Avenue Suite M, Fremont, CA 94538
- Family meal packs for 4
Besides ordering take-out, purchasing gift cards from your local stores or restaurants as gifts for the holidays can go a long way in supporting your favorite small business. If you want more recommendations, tips, or aid in creating a safe event for the holidays, call Piedmont Avenue Consulting for a free consultation today.
Additionally, if you are a restaurant owner and you want to maximize your takeout orders this holiday season, or if you are looking to open a restaurant – we work with many restaurants and are happy to help.